Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Mentalist: Episode 1

While I got bored during the cooking portion of The Biggest Loser, I decided to flip over to CBS and watch the premier of the Mentalist with Simon Baker and that chic from all those low-budget movies. And let me tell you this, she's going to be one of those "I'm-permanently-PMSing" characters. Yikes.

It's been a few years since The Guardian went off the air. I never watched that show and I sort of doubt I'll stick with this one. There is something about Simon Baker that I don't like. In the words of his own character on the show, "He irks me. He's irksome."

The general plot seems to follow the CSI/Law and Order investigative format, but this one is different because Baker can "notice things." OOOOOOH... lol. So pretty much what I can tell is that it's CSI without the science, which in my opinion sucks out all of the interesting attributes of a who-dun-it show.

Apparently Patrick Jane (that's his character's name) formerly made a living as a fake psychic, using his acute observation skills to lie to people and make money, all while working along side the cops to help solve cases. He does this until he mentions a serial killer on a TV show, who doesn't like this and murders his wife and child. So he quits his dishonest life and just sticks with the cops, helping them solve cases about murdered pro-golfers and disappearing teen girls.

Baker's character is kind of takes a cavalier approach to his job, mouthing off to suspects and his superiors, and doing whatever he wants. Meh, so he's Horatio Kane, Jack Malone... you know, the star of every other CBS cop show. This is why I think it has potential to last for a little while, but I don't think it has the foundation to be a CSI or Without a Trace.

What do you think of this show? Is it something you'll watch on a weekly basis?

No comments: